Confirmation of registration
table of content
You can apply for one of the following for yourself or for a person for whom you have responsibility for registration (e.g. a minor):
- ‘simple’ confirmation of registration (this confirms that you are registered, since when and where); or
- ‘historical’ confirmation of registration (this also includes all previous registrations and associated de‑registrations)
You can also choose whether you would like (a) confirmation(s) from the local population register (this stores only your registrations within the municipality) or from the Central Population Register (ZMR) (this stores your registrations across the whole of Austria). Confirmations of registration from the local population register must be applied for from the locally competent registration authority in each case and are issued by this authority; confirmations of registration from the Central Population Register may be obtained from any registration authority.
Confirmations of registrations prior to 1 March 2002 can only be issued from the local population register of the registration authority that was locally competent for that registration at the time.
People who are current legitimately registered in Austria or who were registered after 1 March 2002.
The Central Population Register (ZMR) of the Republic of Austria went into live operation on 1 March 2002. Any registration authority in Austria and the Federal Ministry of the Interior (as the processor stipulated by law) can issue confirmations regarding registrations that already existed on that date and regarding registrations and deregistrations that have taken place after that date. For earlier registrations, applicants must contact the relevant municipality as only they will be able to confirm earlier registrations.
There are no deadlines.
The registration authority
- The Municipial OfficeGerman text
- In Chartered Cities: the Municipal AdministrationGerman text
- In Vienna: the → Municipal District Office (→ city of Vienna)German text
It is possible to make an informal request for the issue of a confirmation of registration to the registration authority in person or in writing.
It is also possible to request a simple confirmation of registration from the Central Population Register (ZMR) online via oesterreich.gv.atGerman text, if you have:
- mobile phone signature ("Handy-Signatur"), card-based citizen card ("Bürgerkarte"), ID Austria or EU Login and
- an online payment method (e.g. credit card, online banking)
A confirmation of registration may be requested online by the applicant for themself only.
Minors cannot apply themselves for the issue of a confirmation of registration. The application must be made to the registration authority in person or in writing by those responsible for their care or by their parents or guardians.
Costs and fees
For the application
- Verbally: no fee
- In writing: 14.30 Euro
- Electronic application using a mobile phone signature ("Handy-Signatur"), a card-based citizen card ("Bürgerkarte"), ID Austria or EU Login: no fee
For the issue of a confirmation of registration
- Federal administration fee (certificate fee): 14.30 Euro
This fee is waived if the confirmation of registration is addressed to a person other than the applicant or an administrative body.
- Federal administrative levy:
- Confirmation of registration from the local population register (only shows registration within the municipality): 2.10 Euro
- Confirmation of registration from the Central Population Register (from the registration authority or online with a mobile phone signature ("Handy-Signatur"), a card-based citizen card ("Bürgerkarte"), ID Austria or EU Login): 3.00 Euro
- Appendix fees (only payable if appendices are attached to the application):
- Verbal or written application: 3.90 Euro per sheet up to a maximum of 21.80 Euro
- Electronic application using a Citizen Card (e.g. mobile phone signature): 2.30 Euro per sheet
In order to locate another person, you may apply for a registration disclosure about a clearly identifiable person. Further information about the registration disclosure for persons governed by private law and undertakings is also available at www.oesterreich.gv.at
Central Population Register – ZMR (→ BMI)German text
- Setion 19 of the Meldegesetz (MeldeG)
- Section 15 of the Meldegesetz-Durchführungsverordnung (MeldeV)
There is no expert information available.
Link to form
Authentication and signature
- Electronically: Registration for the Online Service "Confirmation of registration" via oesterreich.gv.at with mobile phone signature ("Handy-Signatur"), card-based sitizen card ("Bürgerkarte"), ID Austria oder EU Login
- In writing or in person: The applicant must prove their identity. Otherwise, there are no formal requirements for the application.
Means of redress or appeal
An appeal against a decision by the registration authority can be filed with the relevant Regional Administrative Court. This must be submitted within four weeks to the authority which issued the decision.
Assistance and problem-solving services
There are no assistance or problem-solving services.
Responsible for the content: Federal Ministry of the Interior