Change of status – main residence is to become a ‘secondary residence’ or vice‑versa

General information

A change of status is only necessary when there is a change to the nature of the place of residence, i.e. if the existing secondary residence becomes the main residence, and the main residence to date becomes the secondary residence, or vice-versa. A change of status must be made for all minors living in a shared household.


Person above the age of majority taking up accommodation


If a new main residence is acquired (an address other than the main residence to date), registration is necessary, and at the same time it is possible to de‑register the old main residence or change its status to a secondary residence.


Within one month

Competent authority

The registration authority



An additional digitial service "residence registration" via is available for registering, deregistering of the the place of residence or the change of status. This service also applies to own minor children with the same residence.

You can change status in person or by post. The change of status may also be made via a messenger, however. Changes of status by fax or email are currently not permitted under the law.

For minors, a change of status must be registered by those responsible for their care or their parents or guardians, and for persons with a mental disability under the care of a legal guardian, by this person, or if this person is unavailable, by the party providing accommodation.

In order to change status, you will need the registration form, which is used by the registration authorities to enter the data in the population register. The form is available for downloadGerman text, or copies may be obtained from the registration authority and in a number of tobacconists/newsagents.

The headings in the registration form must be completed legibly and in full. Attention is drawn to the following particular areas:

  • Legally recognized church or religious society/denominational community: It is possible to leave this heading blank until the accommodation provider has signed the registration form. It may also be left blank thereafter.
  • Signature of person required to register: This serves to confirm that the registration data are true and accurate.
  • Signature of the accommodation provider

The accommodation provider is any person who actually provides accommodation to the person taking it, e.g.:

  • the actual owner of a house or owner‑occupied dwelling to a cohabitant (e.g. partner, family member) or the main tenant;
  • the main tenant to a cohabitant or sub‑tenant;
  • the sub‑tenant to the cohabitant.

A separate registration form must be completed for each individual person.

You will receive a written confirmation of registration (formerly: registration form).

Required documents

  • Official records showing surnames and first names, surnames prior to first marriage or registered partnership, any other name, date of birth, place of birth and nationality of the person taking the accommodation (e.g. passport and birth certificate)
  • Other name: These are name elements that do not occur in Austrian naming law, such as the patronymic. Such name additions must be entered in the "other name" field.
  • Any certificats of academic qualifications
  • For persons without Austrian citizenship (foreign nationals) taking accommodation:
    • Travel document (e.g. passport)

If you are not changing status in person, you will need to enclose your original documents or copies of these documents that have been certified by a civil‑law notary or a court with your completed registration form or provide them to the messenger. If changing the status of a place of residence by post, please consider the risk associated using the post, for which the authority will not accept liability.

Costs and fees

There are no fees or charges payable.

Legal basis

Sections 3, 4, 4a and 11 Abs 2 of the Meldegesetz (MeldeG)

Expert information

There is no expert information available.

Link to form

Authentication and signature

Means of redress or appeal

An appeal against a decision by the registration authority can be filed with the relevant Regional Adminstrative Court. This must be submitted within four weeks to the authority which issued the decision.

Assistance and problem-solving services

There are no assistance or problem-solving services.

For better understanding and easier reading, the form chosen for all personal designations in this text applies to both genders.

Translated by the European Commission
Last update: 22 April 2024

Responsible for the content: Federal Ministry of the Interior