De‑registration of an existing main residence or ‘secondary residence’

General information

Any person leaving accommodation in a dwelling in Austria (moving out) is required to de‑register with the registration authority. De‑registration can be done with any registration authority.


Person above the age of majority taking up accommodation


When a new main residence is registered, the competent authority for the new main residence may also carry out the de‑registration or change of status of the former place of residence at the same time as registering the new one. In this case, it is not necessary to de‑register yourself.

Any person who fails to fulfil the statutory requirement to register, particularly because they neglect to register or de‑register at all, or they do so even though they have not taken up or left accommodation, is regarded as committing an administrative offence, which is punishable by a fine of up to 726 Euro (up to 2.180 Euro should the offence be repeated).


Within three days before or up to three days after moving out

Competent authority

The registration authority



An additional digital service ("residence registration" via is available for registering and deregistering the place of residence or the change of status. This service also applies to own minor children with the same residence.

You can de‑register in person, by post or online using a ID Austria or EU Login. The de‑registration documents may also be delivered via a messenger. De‑registration by fax or email is currently not permitted under the law.

Minors must be de‑registered by those responsible for their care or by their parents or guardians, persons with a mental disability under the care of a legal guardian, by this person, or if these persons are unavailable, by the party providing accommodation.

If de‑registering in person or by post, you will need the registration form, which is used by the registration authorities to enter the data in the population register. The form is available for downloadGerman text, or copies may be obtained from the registration authority and in a number of tobacconists/newsagents.

A separate registration form must be completed for each individual person who is de‑registering from an address. The signature of the accommodation provider is not required when de‑registering.

You will receive a written confirmation of de‑registration.

Required documents

Official photo ID card (proof of identity)

If you are not de‑registering in person, you will need to enclose your original documents or certified copies with your completed registration formGerman text or provide them to the messenger. If de‑registering a place of residence by post, please consider the risk associated with using the post, for which the authority will not accept liability.

Costs and fees

There are no fees or charges payable.

Legal basis

Sections 2, 4, 4a, 7, 12 and 22 of the Meldegesetz (MeldeG)

Expert information

There is no expert information available.

Link to form

Authentication and signature

Means of redress or appeal

An appeal against a decision by the registration authority can be filed with the relevant Regional Adminstrative Court. This must be submitted within four weeks to the authority which issued the decision.

Assistance and problem-solving services

There are no assistance or problem-solving services.

For better understanding and easier reading, the form chosen for all personal designations in this text applies to both genders.

Translated by the European Commission
Last update: 10 November 2023

Responsible for the content: Federal Ministry of the Interior