Support and grant assistance for apprentices
In addition to their apprenticeship pay, which is paid by the training company, apprentices can apply for various forms of financial support and assistance at federal and provincial level to cover their expenses (living costs, travel to their place of training, accommodation where appropriate, further training, etc.).
Options include grants, subsidised further education courses and free annual season tickets for public transport. You can find detailed information on which forms of support you are eligible for and how to apply for them on the websites listed below:
- Funding opportunities for apprenticeship-seekers and apprentices at federal level
- Lower Austria
- Upper Austria
- Preparation allowance for apprenticeship seekersGerman text
Under certain (financial) circumstances, the Public Employment Service offers a subsidy (for travel, accommodation and meals) for interviews for apprenticeships a long distance from the apprentice's home.
- Long-distance allowance for apprenticeship-seekers and apprenticesGerman text
This allowance can be applied for at the Public Employment Service if the apprenticeship is not delivered in the area where the apprentice has their primary residence.
- Family allowance
In principle, apprentices are entitled to family allowance in respect of minor children (if all other eligibility requirements are met). Apprentices are entitled to family allowance in respect of adult children under 24 years of age if they are in professional training - for example, completing a recognised apprenticeship.
- Free travel and travel allowanceGerman text
The apprentice free travel allowanceGerman text is provided for apprentices' daily travel between home and the place of training. If public transport is not available for this purpose, or if it is not reasonable to use it (e.g. if you cannot get to your apprenticeship on time using public transport), a journey allowanceGerman text can be applied for, provided that the journey to work is at least 2 km. This minimum distance does not apply to apprentices with disabilities if the apprentice is dependent on transport to get to their apprenticeship.
- Subsidising apprentices’ work placements abroadGerman text
Work placements in the EU are organised for apprentices. These placements are subsidised. The IFA AssociationGerman text can help organise placements and offer support and advice. .
In addition to various company subsidies, apprentices themselves are also reimbursed for costs incurred during preparatory courses for the final apprenticeship examination. The subsidies can be applied for at the apprenticeship office of the relevant chamber of commerce.
- Coaching for apprenticesGerman text
If apprentices are experiencing difficulties in their training, at vocational school or in their private lives, they can get support and guidance from professional coaches free of charge.
- Training and continuing education subsidies from the Public Employment Service to cover living expenses, as well as course and ancillary course costsGerman text
- Free resits for the final apprenticeship examinationGerman text
Apprentices can apply to sit the final apprenticeship examination for a second or third time free of charge.
There is also financial support available to apprenticeship-seekers and apprentices at provincial level:
- Employee subsidies in BurgenlandGerman text
Transport subsidy, apprenticeship subsidy, housing subsidy, qualification subsidy
- Burgenland Apprenticeship subsidyGerman text
Support programme run by the Burgenland Chamber of Labour
- Cash tip for apprentices and parentsGerman text
Information from the Burgenland Chamber of Labour on apprenticeship funding and grants
- Apprenticeship subsidies in CarinthiaGerman text
Full details of subsidies for apprentices in Carinthia
- Accommodation subsidy in CarinthiaGerman text
Apprentices who require temporary accommodation in order to attend technical vocational school because it would not be reasonable to travel there from home can apply for a housing cost subsidy/accommodation subsidy.
- Apprenticeship subsidies in Lower AustriaGerman text
Mobility subsidy, apprenticeship subsidy, subsidy for the gifted
- Lower Austria Education BonusGerman text
This allows apprentices to receive a credit against course fees for continuing education courses sponsored by the Chamber of Labour of Lower Austria.
- Upper Austria Education AccountGerman text
Subsidies for people in training (including for apprentices)
- Salzburg Apprenticeship GrantGerman text
Grants for apprentices (depending on their family's financial situation and the apprentice's success in their studies)
- Styria Apprenticeship Grant / Styria Education CheckGerman text
Grant for apprentices (depending on their family's financial situation and the apprentice's success in their studies), education check for apprentices, etc.
- Tyrol Assistance Grant for Gifted StudentsGerman text
Assistance programme for apprentices who have achieved high levels of success in their studies
- Training grant for apprentices TyrolGerman text
Subsidy for apprentices from financially weak families
- Tyrol Education GrantGerman text
This can be used to apply for funding for further education courses.
- Tyrol Apprenticeship Training AllowanceGerman text
Scholarship programme for apprentices funded by the Tyrol Chamber of Labour
- Apprenticeship office of the Vorarlberg Chamber of CommerceGerman text
One of the things that can be applied for here is a scholarship for an apprenticeship stay abroad.
- Apprentice free ride / apprentice plus in VorarlbergGerman text
Here you can apply for a discounted annual ticket for the Vorarlberg transport association.
- Vienna Education AccountGerman text
The waff Education Account supports job-related education and training for Viennese residents, whether they are in work or unemployed.
- Education Bonus ViennaGerman text
The education bonus is a benefit provided by waff, especially for graduates of an apprenticeship. Support is provided for job-related further education courses.
Responsible for the content: Federal Ministry of Labour and Economy