Vehicle registration in Austria

table of content

General information

If you are registering the vehicle for the first time, you must calculate the amount of standard fuel consumption tax (NOVA) (→ USP) due yourself (using the form "NOVA 2"German text) and pay the tax to your local tax office (→ BMF)German text before registering the imported vehicle.

Once the tax officeGerman text has confirmed receipt of the standard fuel consumption tax (NOVA) (→ USP) and the 20 per cent purchase tax (when importing new vehicles), the vehicle will be registered.

Translated by the European Commission
Last update: 1 January 2021

Responsible for the content: Federal Ministry of Finance