Registration disclosure for private individuals and undertakings
table of content
In order to locate another person, you may apply for a registration disclosure about this person’s main residence. Only people who can produce an order for executionGerman text against the requested person can request information about dates of birth.
There is the option of filing an application for non-disclosure of personal informationGerman text. A legitimate interest must be demonstrated for this. Examples include those who can demonstrate legitimate concerns about retaliation or cases involving incognito adoptions. Where a non-disclosure agreementGerman text is in place, no registration disclosure will be provided.
Both natural and legal persons can obtain information from the Central Population Register (ZMR) about registered individuals. In general, only information about the main place of residence is disclosed. If a requested person does not have a legitimate main place of residence, information is provided about their last main residence that was deregistered. However, information is not normally provided about additional residences (secondary residences).
The requested person must be identified as far as possible using specific data in order to prevent multiple disclosures occurring. The following data relating to the requested person is required as a minimum:
- first name and surname;
- one additional characteristic that could be used to uniquely identify the individual (e.g. date of birth, place of birth, nationality or previous address).
There are no specific deadlines.
The registration authority
- The municipality officeGerman text
- In chartered urban districts: the municipal executiveGerman text
- In Vienna: the municipal district office (→ City of Vienna)German text
- In addition: The Austrian Federal Ministry of the Interior (→ BMI)German text for individuals with a Citizen Card (immediate online registration disclosure once the identity of the applicant has been checked)
You can request a registration disclosure in person, by post or over the internet.
The registration disclosure can be requested online on the pages of the Central Population Register (ZMR) or via oesterreich.gv.at. To use this facility, you must have an activated Citizen Card and the ability to make payments online. The requested information will be provided immediately after payment of the administrative levy. Please note: The administrative levy of 3.30 Euro (at the present time) must still be paid for enquiries that do not yield any clear search results.
Official photo ID cardGerman text
In the case of written requests, you must enclose either the original version of the official document or a copy that has been certified by a notary or a court.
Costs and fees
For the application
- verbally: no fee,
- in writing: 14.30 Euro,
- electronic application using a Citizen Card (e.g. mobile phone signaturure): no fee
For the disclosure
- Federal administrative levy:
- For requests for information from the local population register: 2.10 Euro
- For requests for information from the Central Population Register (ZMR): 3.30 Euro
Natural persons or companies (‘other persons entitled to submit requests’ as defined in Section 16a (5) of the Meldegesetz, e.g. chambers, banks, insurance companies, lawyers, debt collection agencies) which regularly require registration disclosures for the assertion or enforcement of rights or claims for commercial purposes have the possibility of gaining access to the Central Population Register (ZMR) for these purposes.
- Central Population Register – ZMR (→ BMI)German text
- Access to the ZMR for other persons entitled to submit requests – ‘business partners‘ (→ BMI)German text
- Sections 16, 16a and 18 of the Meldegesetz (MeldeG)
- Sections 15 and 17 of the Meldegesetz-Durchführungsverordnung (MeldeV)
There is no expert information available.
Link to form
- Online registration disclosure – Central Population Register (ZMR)German text
- Online registration disclosure service at oesterreich.gv.atGerman text
- Online confirmation of registration – Central Population Register (ZMR)German text
- Online confirmation of registration service at oesterreich.gv.atGerman text
Authentication and signature
- Electronically: You can register for the online service via oesterreich.gv.at using a mobile phone signature or via the ZMR using a mobile phone signature or a card-based Citizen Card
- In writing or in person: no formal requirements
Means of redress or appeal
An appeal against a decision by the registration authority can be filed with the relevant Regional Administrative Court. This must be submitted within four weeks to the authority which issued the decision.
Assistance and problem-solving services
There are no assistance or problem-solving services.
Responsible for the content: Federal Ministry of the Interior