Voting eligibility – Other EU citizens with primary residence in Austria
table of content
In Austria, non-Austrian EU citizens are, in principle, entitled to vote in local electionsGerman text (or in district electionsGerman text in Vienna) and in in elections to the European Parliament.German text
In order to be able to participate in local elections (in Vienna: district elections), you must generally be officially entered in the local electoral register of the municipality in which your primary residence is located.
For elections to the European Parliament, you must submit a request to be entered in the European electoral register in order to vote to select the Austrian Members of the European Parliament. An up-to-date European electoral roll is created for each European election on the basis of the European electoral register.
For inclusion in the European electoral register:
- your primary residenceGerman text must be located in an Austrian municipality,
- and you should not have been disqualified from voting in your country of origin as a result of a civil or criminal law decision in an individual case.
For elections to the European Parliament,German text non-Austrian EU citizens are entitled to vote to select the Austrian Members of the European Parliament or the representatives of their country of origin. When submitting a request for entry in the European electoral register in Austria, you must provide a formal, signed declaration that you wish to vote to select the Austrian Members of the European Parliament.
An application for entry in the European electoral register German text can be made at any time. Your entry will remain valid for the duration of your stay in Austria (uninterrupted primary residence).
The municipalityGerman text, in which the applicant’s primary residence is located
- In Vienna: Magistrate Department 62German text (MA 62)
- official photo IDGerman text
- evidence of citizenship
- confirmation of registrationGerman text
- if required: evidence showing the electoral roll in which you were last entered in your country of origin.
If you are submitting a written request, copies of these documents may also be enclosed.
Upon request, it is possible for the authority to obtain the confirmation of registration via a search in the Central Civil Register.
- Electoral register (elections to the European Parliament) – Request for entry for Union citizens
- Electoral register (elections to the European Parliament) – Request for entry for Union citizens – Appendix sheet
responsible for content: Federal Ministry of the Interior