Proof of citizenship
Up-to-date information on responsibility for issuing proof of citizenship, required documents, fees, etc.
table of content
When applying, proof of possession of Austrian citizenship must be provided to the competent authority.
Detailed information on applying for a child's citizenship certificate can also be found on oesterreich.gv.at.
The following offices are responsible for issuing proof of citizenship, regardless of where you are resident.
- any registry office or registry office association of an Austrian municipality
- In chartered urban districts: the registry office of the magistrate
- In Vienna:
- The Staatsbürgerschaftsevidenz (Department for Citizenship Documentation) (→ City of Vienna)German text
- All registry offices dealing with births and marriages (→ City of Vienna)German text
- All Magisterial District Offices (→ City of Vienna)German text
- The City Service City Information Team (→ City of Vienna)German text
- Confirmation of registration as a resident
- Birth certificate
- Official photo ID
- In addition, you may also require the following documents :
If you wish, you can arrange for a search to be made in the Central Register of Residence (ZMR) instead of submitting confirmation of registration for residence purposes.
Costs and fees
For the application
- Standard fee: 14.30 Euro
- Electronic applications using a citizen card (e.g. mobile signature): 8.60 Euro
Fees for issuing a citizenship certificate
- Federal fee: 14.30 Euro
- Provincial fee: Varies depending on the province
Documents that are subject to a fee (e.g. foreign birth or marriage certificates) and have to be presented when the proof of citizenship is issued, can be processed once the fee is paid, either in cash or, where applicable, using another method of payment (such as via an ATM withdrawal or by credit card).
Link to form
Responsible for the content: Federal Ministry of the Interior