table of content
In accordance with the Motor Vehicles Act (Kraftfahrgesetz), the number plates provided with the registration number assigned to the vehicle must be attached to the vehicle as follows:
- On three-wheeled vehicles with an enclosed, cab-like superstructure and on motor vehicles: front and rear
- On mopeds, motorcycles, motorcycles with a sidecar, three-wheeled unbodied motor vehicles, four-wheeled vehicles demonstrating features of a motorcycle (namely handlebars, operating and indicating components as well as seat), four-wheeled light motor vehicles, self-propelled machinery with a maximum design speed of 40 km/h, tractors, transport carts, motorised carts and trailers: rear
These rules apply to all EU citizens with a vehicle registered in Austria.
All businesses using the registered vehicle.
There are no specific time limits to be observed.
There is no specific procedure to be observed.
No specific documents are required.
The costs are payable during registration.
The costs incurred for the number plate(s) are as follows:
- Passenger cars and HGVs: EUR 21
- Motorcycles: EUR 12
- Mopeds: EUR 7.50
- Trailers: EUR 10.50
- Tractors: EUR 10.50
In the event of loss or theft of number plates, a statement of loss or theft must be filed with the police immediately (within one week following the incident). This is also the case if the loss or theft occurred abroad. Under certain conditions, the registration office may issue new number plates.
In the meantime, temporary (‘makeshift’) replacement plates may be used. Together with a copy of the police statement, these may be used as replacement plates for no longer than one week.
- Section 49 paragraph 6 of the Kraftfahrgesetz 1967 (KFG 1967)
- Annex 5e to the Kraftfahrgesetz-Durchführungsverordnung 1967 (KDV 1967)
There is no form available.
responsible for content: Federal Ministry for Climate Action, Environment, Energy, Mobility, Innovation and Technology