Birth register extract (partial register extract)
table of content
These rules apply to all births in Austria.
As in the case of the birth certificate, the birth register extract (formerly: ‘copy from the birth register’), as a partial extract from the Central Civil Status Register (ZPR), can be used as proof of birth before the authorities.
To prevent third parties from freely accessing data, the right to a birth register extract is limited to a specific group of people. Where an extract from the register is requested electronically, it is only possible for the requester’s own data to be disclosed.
The following people can request a birth register extract, provided that this is not precluded by any overriding interests worthy of protection in respect of the persons to whom the registration relates:
- persons to whom the registration relates and other persons whose civil status is affected by the registration;
- persons who establish a legal interest in doing so.
There are no deadlines.
For births after 1 January 1939:
All authorities responsible for civil status, i.e.:
- → the registry office or registry office associationGerman text of the municipality;
- in chartered urban districts: the → municipal executiveGerman text;
- in Vienna: the registry offices in Vienna (→ City of Vienna)German text (MA 63)
For births prior to 1 January 1939:
- the parish office of the church parish of your place of birth.
The birth register extract is generally issued immediately for applicants appearing in person, provided that the data has already been stored in the Central Civil Status Register.
- for applicants appearing in person: official photo ID;
- if applicable, evidence for the purpose of establishing a legal interest.
Costs and fees
For the application
- Verbally: no fee
- In writing: 14.30 Euro
- Electronic application using a Citizen Card (e.g. mobile phone signature): 8.60 Euro
For the issue of a birth certificate
- Federal administration fee: 7.20 Euro
- Federal administrative levy: 2.10 Euro
There are no fees for the first issue of a birth register extract for a child, provided that the birth register extract is issued within two years of the child’s birth (i.e. by or on the 2nd birthday).
Additional information may be issued by the authorities (municipal registries of births, marriages and deaths) in individual cases.
- Personenstandsgesetz 2013 (PStG 2013)
- Personenstandsgesetz-Durchführungsverordnung 2013 (PStG-DV 2013)
In the case of births, marriages and deaths that occurred before 1 November 2014, it may be necessary for the data to be entered in the register retrospectively in order to be able to issue an extract from it. This retrospective entry of the data is carried out by the municipal registry that documented the birth, marriage or death.
Link to form
Authentication and signature
- Electronically: registratio using a mobile phone signature or a card-based Citizen Card
- In Writing or in person (an official photo ID card)
Means of redress or appeal
An appeal against a decision by the department responsible for civil status can be filed with the relevant Regional Administrative Court. This must be submitted within four weeks to the authority which issued the decision.
Assistance and problem-solving services
There are no assistance or problem-solving services.
Further service points
Support is provided by the local municipal registries and further information can be accessed electronically at österreich.gv.at.
Responsible for the content: Federal Ministry of the Interior