General information on the heavy labour pension
table of content
The heavy labour pension was introduced as part of the pension harmonisation process in 2005. It has been available since 1 January 2007.
The activities regarded as 'heavy labour' are determined by a decree issued by the Ministry for Social Affairs.
The heavy labour pension will only be of relevance to women as of 2024. Until then, insured women are still able to draw an early retirement pension for the long-term insured and the old-age pension instead.
Additional eligibility requirement:
At least 540 insurance months (45 years) must have been completed, with at least 120 months of heavy labour (10 years) having been completed in the 240 calendar months (20 calendar years) prior to the pension effective date.
Discontinuation of benefits under the scheme
Heavy labour pension payments will be stopped in the following cases:
- If the individual starts working in a job covered by statutory pension insurance (as an employee or self-employed). Pension payments will be discontinued for the duration of statutory pension insurance cover.
- If the individual starts working in another type of job that exceeds the low-income threshold of 475.86 Euro per month. Payments will not be disbursed in any month in which the individual's income exceeds this threshold.
- If the individual runs an agricultural holding on a self-employed basis, whereby the unit value of that holding exceeds 2400 Euro.
In order for discontinued payments under the heavy labour pension to be restored, the aforementioned circumstances must no longer be applicable.
The application must be submitted no later than the end of the last month before entering retirement.
The competent pension insurance institutionGerman text
Application to be submitted to pension insurer
The pension insurance institution will advise which documents are required.
Costs and fees
There are no charges payable.
Heavy labour pension (→ AK)German text
Verordnung über besonders belastende Berufstätigkeiten (Schwerarbeitsverordnung)
There is no expert information available.
Link to form
- Pension insurance – heavy labour pension – applicationGerman text
- Heavy labour pension – application for review of eligibilityGerman text
Authentication and signature
- Electronically: registration using the mobile signature system or the card-based system using your citizen card (only possible for the Austrian Pension Insurance Fund (PVA))
- In writing: informal letter (form to be submitted later)
- In person: in this case, you should take with you the necessary documents, such as your birth certificate, birth certificates for your children, your residence registration form, your marriage certificate, where appropriate, and an identity document.
Means of redress or appeal
The pension insurance institution will make a decision on the pension application in an official notification. A complaint may be lodged with the competent Labour and Social Court within three months of delivery of the official notification.
Assistance and problem-solving services
There are no assistance or problem-solving services.
Ombudsman service for the competent pension insurance institutionGerman text
Responsible for the content: Federal Ministry of Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection