General information on holiday work experience placements
To be able to work as a young person during holidays, the following conditions must generally be met:
- Age: 15 or over,
- End of general compulsory school attendance
Compulsory school attendance ends after the end of year 9 (roughly equivalent to year 10 in the UK), at the start of the summer holiday (main school holiday).
These rules apply to all EU citizens in Austria.
Minors who celebrate their 15th birthday before the start of the summer holiday following year 9, are considered children as defined in the Kinder- und Jugendliches-Beschäftigungsgesetz. Only with the end of compulsory school attendance – at the start of the holiday – are they considered young people and are able from that time to work in a holiday job.
Persons under the age of 15 who have already finished compulsory school attendance can only be employed as part of
- Special holiday work experience placements [Ferialpraktika], the purpose of which is to catch up on tuition missed during the school year
- Compulsory work placements in accordance with the Schulorganisationsgesetz
- Training schemes within integrated vocational education.
This is subject to the provisions of the Kinder- und Jugendliches-Beschäftigungsgesetz that apply for young people (sections 3 to 5), although these persons are considered children as defined by law.
Links to online employment websites for work placements and holiday jobs
- LOGO online employment website (→ LOGO jugendmanagement)German text
- akzente Jugendinfo Salzburg – Holiday jobs & work placements (→ akzente Jugendinfo)German text
- FFG – Praktikabörse (Work placements in natural science and technology) (→ FFG)German text
- StudentJob – Work Placement (→ StudentJob)German text
- praktikum.infoGerman text
- Jugendportal – Work placement (→ Jugendportal)German text
- wienXtra-jugendinfo – Work placement (→ wienXtra)German text
- Work for children and young people (→ Work Inspectorate)German text
- Brochure: 'Jugendliche – Beschäftigung von Kindern und Jugendlichen' (→ Work Inspectorate)German text
- Holiday job (→ AK)German text
- Information on the subject of 'Holiday work placement and registering for social insurance' (→ ÖGK)German text
Responsible for the content: Federal Ministry of Labour