Registration of a main residence for a newborn child
table of content
These rules apply to all births in Austria.
After the birth you must register your newborn – this is the general obligation of registration.
Registration of a main residence for a newborn child may also take place at the same time as the notification of the birth at the registry officeGerman text, if a certificate of registration of residence form has been filled in beforehand (usually at the hospital). If the registration has already been carried out at the registry office, it is no longer necessary to go to the registration authorities.
Digital BabypointGerman text supports expectant mothers and fathers with a personalised checklist for pregnancy and birth. The first issuance of documents such as the birth certificate, certificate of nationality and confirmation of registration of residence can be carried out online via Digital Babypoint.
If you register your newborn with the registry office using the Notification of Birth form, this can be done before you return from the hospital.
Otherwise, you must register the main residence with the registration authorities within three days of returning from the maternity ward.
If you register the birth using the Notification of Birth form on the same date, the registry office with territorial responsibility for the child’s place of birth (e.g. location of the hospital):
- The registry office or registry office associationGerman text of the municipality
- In chartered urban districtsGerman text : the registry officeGerman text of the municipal executive
- In Vienna: the registry office (→ City of Vienna)German text , in whose area (district) the birth took place.
Otherwise, in principle, the registration authorities responsible for the child’s place of residence:
- The municipality officeGerman text
- In chartered urban districtGerman text : the municipal executive (→ City of Vienna)German text
Exception – in Vienna:
- Any municipal district office (→ City of Vienna)German text (irrespective of the district of residence)
- The Meldeservice – Zentrale Meldeauskunft der MA 62 (central registration information service) (→ City of Vienna)German text
In order to register, you will need the certificate of registration of residence form, which is used by the authorities to enter the data into the civil register. The form can be downloaded and is available from the registration authorities and usually in the maternity wards of hospitals and at the registry office. It is also available in a number of tobacconists.
You must complete and sign the certificate of registration of residence form and then submit it to the competent authority. You sign as the person subject to the obligation of registration, because you are the legal representative of your child. You also sign as the person responsible for providing a home if the child lives with you or will live with you after you return from the hospital.
Some registry offices and hospitals cooperate with one another, meaning that the hospitals concerned send the registry office the documents required for issuing the first birth certificate together with the ‘Notification of Birth’ form and the certificate of registration of residence form. Please inquire at your hospital or at the competent registry office.
In certain cases, after the birth of a child, administrative procedures can be carried out by other persons on the basis of a special authorisation, e.g. by the father of a child born out of wedlock. Please find out from the competent registry officeGerman text or, if available, the relevant Babypoint whether such an authorisation is permitted in your case and, if so, for whom.
If you register the birth using the Notification of Birth form at the same time, you do not need any additional documents.
Costs and fees
There are no fees or charges payable.
If you register the birth with the registration authorities instead of at the registry office, you can find further information under the heading 'Registration'.
More detailed information about the notification of the birth can be found under the heading Notification of the birth/first issue of a birth certificate.
Link to form
- Digital Babypoint online serviceGerman text
- Certificate of registration of residence – FormGerman text
- The City of Vienna offers an online form for an authorisation to register the birth and to register the child in accordance with the Registration Act and to receive the confirmation of registration of residence and certificate of nationality for the child. Please make sure that, before using the form, you find out from the competent registry officeGerman text or, if available, the relevant Babypoint whether such an authorisation is permitted in your case and, if so, for whom it is permitted.
- Authorisation form (→ City of Vienna)German text
Responsible for the content: Federal Ministry of the Interior