Looking for work in the EU area

Looking for work locally

Austrian citizens have the right to look for work in any EU member state and, following their search, to decide whether they wish to stay in their adopted country as expatriates. The specific requirements for individual countries are set out on the "Europa für Sie" (Europe for You) portal. Alternatively, you can request further details by contacting the authorities of the country in which you wish to work.


If the desired information cannot be found on "Your Europe", it is possible to send an electronic request to "Your Europe - Advice" at the bottom of each page or to call the toll-free number 00800/67 89 10 11. Experts will provide advice on personal problems within one week, free of charge and in different languages.

Further links

Looking for work via Arbeitsmarktservice (AMS) Österreich

Export of unemployment insurance benefits

If you are entitled to unemployment allowance or emergency assistance in Austria, you can take your benefits with you to other EU/EEA countries or Switzerland after you have registered with the AMS in Austria for four weeks. The benefit can be drawn abroad for a maximum of three months in total, but no longer than until the end of the remaining entitlement. However, you must always contact your competent regional office before going abroad to clarify whether it is possible for you to export benefits.
In the state of job search, you must report to the competent employment service within seven days and fulfil the control procedures there as well as the requirements for receiving benefits.
If you are unsuccessful in your job search abroad, you must return to Austria before the expiry of the three-month period or before the expiry of the approved stay abroad and file your claim in person with the AMS, otherwise you will lose your entitlement to all unemployment insurance benefits. 

The Austrian Labour Market Service (AMS)  provides a comprehensive range of services for people looking for jobs elsewhere in Europe. Alternatively, you can use the AMS "eJobRoom" to find a job abroad.

Online advice portal and calculator

AMS entitlements outside AustriaGerman text

Weiterführende Links

EURES – Finding a job in the EU/EEA

EURES is a network of services run jointly by the European Commission, the bodies administering the labour market in individual EU member states and other organisations providing services connected to the jobs market. EURES is designed to encourage cross-border mobility within the EU/EEA labour market, and employs a network of about 1,000 advisers across the EEA and Switzerland. The EURES online application tool is a quick way to submit professional applications for jobs all over the EU/EEA. The EURES portal also provides information about the labour market and living conditions for people working abroad, as well as details of transitional freedom of movement arrangements for employees in all EU/EEA member states.


You can find information on a variety of important issues, including finding accommodation, schools, taxes, living costs and healthcare, in the "About living & working" section of the EURES website.

Further links

Labour market services/job centres on the Internet

The following countries provide information about their labour market/job openings on the Internet

The United Kingdom left the European Union on 31 January 2020. A transitional period has been agreed until 31 December 2020. No major changes affecting access to the labour market are expected during this period. You can find more information about Brexit and what it means for you on the Federal Chancellery's webpages.

Certified Translation, altered by the Federal Ministry of Labour and Economy
Last update: 12 April 2024
Responsible for the content:
  • oesterreich.gv.at Editorial Staff
  • Federal Ministry of Labour and Economy