Change of address: pension insurance institution

General information

You should inform the pension insurance institution from which you receive your pension immediately of any change of address.

Individuals who are living abroad and receiving a pension are not generally entitled to a compensatory allowance. If you miss the two-week deadline for reporting the change of address, the pension insurance institution can reclaim the compensatory allowance that was wrongly paid out.


Individuals who receive a pension and change their address


  • Receiving a pension
  • Change of address
  • Prior notification to the competent registration office (Municipal Executive or local authority)


Within two weeks of the move

Competent authority

The competent pension insurance institution:


Notification of the move or the new address is generally provided in an informal manner. You can provide notification of the change in writing, in person, by e-mail or by telephone.


If you provide notification of your move by telephone, you should ensure that you obtain the name of the person dealing with this matter so that it is possible to confirm afterwards that you have reported your move properly.

Your pension insurance institution will check carefully whether your move will affect the pension you are receiving and inform you directly about this.

Required documents

No documents are required.

Costs and fees

There are no fees payable for notifying the pension insurance institution of the change of address.

Further information

If you receive your pension from the Austrian Pension Insurance Institution and move to a different federal state, a different ÖGK regional office will be responsible for your health insurance after your move.

Legal basis

The pension insurance act that applies to your competent pension insurance institution (e.g. ASVG, GSVG, BSVG)

Expert information

There is no expert information available.

Link to form

Change of address (→ SV – Austrian Social Insurance)German text

Authentication and signature

Not applicable

Means of redress or appeal

Not applicable

Assistance and problem-solving services

There are no assistance or problem-solving services.

Further service points:
Ombudsman services for insurance institutionsGerman text

Translated by the European Commission
Last update: 14 June 2024

Responsible for the content: Editorial Staff