General information on nursing and care homes

As people get older, the likelihood of them needing assistance and care increases. A person whose care needs can no longer be met by mobile social services may move into a nursing or care home.

Care homes operate on a voluntary basis, i.e. people are only accepted as residents if they expressly consent. Depending on the operator, a written application must be submitted, together with personal documents and documents explaining their care needs (doctor’s note, etc.) and financial circumstances.

Care can be paid for out of income, including a care allowance If that does not cover the costs, the person may be eligible for an allowance for costs under the Sozialhilfegesetz or the Mindestsicherungsgesetz of the province. In such a case, 20 percent of the pension, special payments and 10 percent of the level 3 care allowance remain as monthly pocket money.

Information on all the necessary steps should therefore be obtained in advance from the care home in question.


An example of a residential home contract (→ BMSGPK) can be downloaded from the BMSGPK.

Temporary residence in a nursing or care home

  • Transitional care: As a rule, a person stays in a care home only for as long as the care is needed (e.g. for rehabilitation following hospitalisation). The person may be able to return to a safe domestic environment following care and therapy, in which case mobile social services will ensure that the person lives as independent a life as possible.
  • Short-term care: e.g. due to health problems or work, the person in need of care may be temporarily admitted to a nursing or care home.
  • Holiday care: In order to give relatives a break from care, the person in need of care or assistance may be taken care of in a nursing or care home during the holidays.


If possible, they should not relinquish their home at this time.


The Federal Ministry of Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection, the Austrian Association of Nursing and Care Homes and the Austrian Council of Senior Citizens have developed a "national quality certificate for Austrian nursing and care homes" (NQZ) with the help of experts. The certificate is awarded to nursing and care homes that make systematic efforts to ensure the best quality of life for each of their residents. They must have a quality management and self-assessment system in place. A list of certified nursing and care homes and further information can be found on the NQZ website.

The Consumer Information Association (Verein für Konsumenteninformation) publishes a ‘Living in a Nursing Home’ guidebook that can be ordered at a nominal cost. It lists criteria for choosing the right home, information on the costs and the rights of residents and their relatives and much more.

Further links

Legal basis

section 13 of the Bundespflegegeldgesetz(BPGG)

Translated by the European Commission
Last update: 21 March 2023

Responsible for the content: Federal Ministry of Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection