Identity card – loss or theft


Some passport authorities also offer the option of making an appointment (online, by telephone or by e-mail). Some passport authorities require you to make an appointment in any case. You can find more information directly on the respective authority website.

A travel document is required for every border crossing. This also applies when travelling to Schengen states and also for short journeys abroad.

The travel document is the passport or, when travelling within the EU, a valid identity card. The driver's licence is not a travel document, nor is the identity card.

The identity card serves as proof of citizenship and identity. In Austria, the identity card is considered an official photo ID card.official.

Information on emergencies etc. can be found under PIdentity card -travel document, etry requirements etc."


If you wish to travel abroad shortly after your marriage, a new identity card must be issued when you change your name. Please contact the relevant passport office in good time before you get married.

Loss or theft within the country

In the event of theft of the identity card , a theft report must be filed with the local police. With the confirmation of the theft report and all other necessary documents, you can apply for the reissue of an ID card at the passport authority centre.

In the event of loss of the identity card in Austria, the passport authority must be notified. 

Loss or theft abroad

Procedure abroad

A report of loss or theft must be filed with the local police abroad. Based on this report, the Austrian representation authority (→ BMEIA) (embassy, consulate) issues an emergency passport for the return journey.

Domestic procedure

In the event of theft of the identity card, a new theft report must be submitted to the police in Austria together with the foreign theft report. With confirmation of the Austrian theft report and all other necessary documents, an application for reissue of an identity card can be submitted to the passport authority.

In the event of loss of the identity card, the passport authority must be notified.


There are a few things you need to know about this feature:

  • The passport authority must be notified immediately if an identity card is recovered
  • The revocation of the travel document in the (international) search databases requires at least 24 hours.
  • The entry regulations of some countries stipulate that it is not possible to enter the country with identity cards that have been reported stolen or lost, even if their recovery has been reported

Legal basis

Translated by the European Commission
Last update: 6 May 2024

Responsible for the content: Federal Ministry of the Interior