Visa types

Generally speaking, all visa types are issued by representation offices (→ BMEIA) abroad. Visas may only be issued or extended in Austria or issued at the border in certain clearly defined, exceptional cases.

More detailed information about applying for a visa as a third‑country national can also be found at

Type A visa: airport transit visa

In principle, foreign nationals who do not leave the transit area or the aircraft during a stopover at an airport do not require a visa.

Nationals of certain countries require a type A visa for transit via Austrian airports, unless they meet certain exceptional criteria (the countries in question and the exceptional criteria can be found in the list of visa requirements). Type A visas may not usually be issued in Austria. They may under no circumstances be issued at the border.

Type C visa: short-stay visa

This is the standard tourist visa. A type C visa can be issued for a total stay of 90 days within a 180-day period, and entitles the holder to enter and reside in the Schengen area.

Schengen countries: Belgium, Croatia, Czechia, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Greece, Spain, France, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Hungary, Malta, Netherlands, Austria, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, Slovakia, Finland, Sweden; and non-EU Member States Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland.

Type D visa: long-term visa

Type D visas generally permit the holder to a stay of between 91 days and six months. In exceptional cases, a type D visa may also be issued with a validity period of up to 12 months (e.g. on the basis of an international agreement) or with a validity period of less than 91 days (visa extension in Austria).

A (national) type D visa issued by Austria or another Schengen country permits the holder to travel freely within the territory of the other Schengen countries while holding this visa and a valid travel document for up to 90 days within a 180-day period, provided that the entry requirements set out in Article 6(1)(a), (c) and (e) of the Schengen Borders Code are met, and the person is not on the national list of alerts of the member country in question.

Type D visas can only be issued abroad by an Austrian representation. If Austria is represented in a particular country by another Schengen country, that representation may only issue Schengen visas. If a type D visa is required, it is necessary to visit the competent Austrian representation(→ BMEIA) in a neighbouring country.


You can obtain more information about the entry requirements for Austria by calling the Federal Ministry of the Interior, Department V/7 hotline on 01/531 26-3557 (8 a.m. to 12 a.m.).

Further links

Legal basis

Translated by the European Commission
Last update: 16 May 2024

Responsible for the content: Federal Ministry of the Interior