Change of name: Social security

General information

Generally, the Registrar’s Office [Standesamt] must notify the social insurance in the event of name changes.

If the Registrar’s Office does not notify the social insurance, the competent health insurance carrier must be informed about a change of name.

This insurance carrier will at that point inform any other competent accident and pension insurance carriers itself.

Once the name change has been received by the social insurance, you will automatically be issued a new e-card with your new name to replace the old e-card. This will not change the insurance cover.


If you are currently in gainful employment, your employer will submit the change of address notification. If you are in receipt of benefits from the unemployment insurance (e.g. unemployment allowanceemergency assistancepart-time allowance for elderly workers), the notification will be submitted by the Austrian Public Employment Service (→ AMS)German text. As such, it is primarily farmers and the self-employed who must ensure they submit this notification themselves.


Persons who change their name


The deadlines vary depending on the social insurance carrier and the type of insurance relationship.

Competent authority

The competent health insurance carrier:


You can provide notification of the change in writing (e.g. by email) or in person.

Required documents

Appropriate proofs (e.g. marriage certificate, divorce decree, diploma)

Costs and fees

There are no fees payable for notifying the health insurance fund of the change of name.

Legal basis

Assistance and problem-solving services

Further service points
Social Security Ombudsman
Translated by the European Commission
Last update: 15 May 2024

Responsible for the content: Association of Austrian Social Insurance Institutions