Checklist – administrative processes regarding the birth of a child

The birth of a child is necessarily connected with a number of administrative processes so that the parents receive the most important documents for their child. The following is intended to provide support by giving an overview of this topic. After each brief description of an administrative process, there is a link to more detailed information. The overview concludes with a list of the documents required for the administrative processes.

All the administrative processes mentioned here (submitting declarations) can be completed after the birth at the registry office responsible for the place of birthGerman text. As it usually takes quite a long time for the documents to be produced, they generally cannot be issued immediately.


The medical staff (head of the hospital, doctor or midwife) must report the birth within one week. If this is not carried out by the aforementioned persons, the parents can also make the notification.

In addition, the person responsible for the care and upbringing of the child (parent) must submit the documents required for the registration of the birth to the registry office no later than one week after the birth (for example declaration of first name, proof of the parents' nationality, proof of the parents' main place of residence if they live abroad, confirmation of birth; this is not necessary if the documents have already been sent by the medical staff or the official channels have already been completed via Babypoint.


Digital BabypointGerman text supports expectant mothers and fathers with a personalised checklist for pregnancy and birth. The first issuance of documents such as the birth certificate, certificate of Austrian nationality and confirmation of registration of residence can be carried out online via Digital Babypoint.
An external office of the registry office (so-called ‘Babypoint’) has been set up in some hospitals (in Vienna, for example, in the Allgemeines Krankenhaus (General Hospital) and SMZ-Ost/Donauspital (Social Medical Centre East – Danube Hospital)). In a number of other hospitals (without an external office of the registry office), special baby documentation services are offered, such as the forwarding of necessary documents from parents to the registry office. Detailed information about hospitals with special baby documentation services or BabypointGerman text can also be found at

Birth certificate

The first step that must be taken after the birth of a child is the notification of birth (Anzeige der Geburt), on the basis of which a birth certificate is issued for the newborn child for the first time. If the baby is delivered in a hospital or clinic, the notification of birth is usually carried out by the hospital or clinic automatically.

Detailed information about the "‘first issue of a birth certificate/notification of birth" can also be found at

First name and surname of the child


Foreign nationals are generally subject to the rules on names of the State of their nationality. Names given in Austria are not automatically recognised in the State of origin.

Declaring the first name of the child at the registry office of the place of birth is a prerequisite for the issue of the birth certificate. The parents are entitled to do so in the case of children born in wedlock, and the mother is generally entitled to do so in the case of children born out of wedlock. If you are unable to decide on a first name immediately after the birth, it must be notified to the registry office within 40 days at the latest.

As regards the surname of the child, a distinction must be made:

In the case of married parents who have the same surname, the child will also bear that name, or the double-barrelled name of one of the parents. If married parents do not have the same surname, the child may bear the surname of one of the parents. Alternatively, the parents can decide to give the child a double-barrelled name composed of the surnames of the two parents. If the child’s surname is not determined, it will automatically be given the surname of the mother, even if it is double-barrelled.

As a general rule, children of unmarried parents are given the surname of the mother. If you want your child to bear the surname of the father, that name can be declared before the registrar.

Detailed information about the "first name and surname of the child" can also be found at

Registration with a social security fund

Children are usually already insured together with their mother and father by operation of law. The registration of the birth of a child with the social security authorities is usually carried out automatically by the competent registry office following the notification of the birth. The child will be sent his or her own e-card by post after the registration has been carried out.

Further information about the "Registration of a newborn child with a social insurance fund" can be found at

Registration of residence

After the birth, the newborn child must be registered (the general obligation of registration). Registration may also take place at the same time as the notification of the birth at the registry officeof the place of birth, if a certificate of registration of residence form has been filled in beforehand (usually at the hospital). This is also available for download. If the registration of residence is not carried out at the same time as the notification of the birth, it must take place at the registration authorities of the place of residence within three days of returning from the maternity ward.

Detailed information about the "registration of residence for a newborn child" can be found at

Certificate of nationality

When registering the birth, it is also possible for the Austrian nationality of the children to be registered and a certificate of nationality to be issued. The certificate of nationality serves as confirmation that your child has Austrian nationality.


Foreign nationals must apply to the administrative authority of their country of originGerman text in order to be issued with a certificate of nationality or a passport.

Detailed information about the "certificate of nationality for a child" can be found at

Acknowledgement of paternity

If the parents of a newborn child are not married to each other or if the husband is not the father of the child, the biological father can acknowledge paternity by making a personal declaration. If an unmarried couple become the parents of a child, the father can also be specified on the birth certificate if he acknowledges paternity. Acknowledgement of paternity is one of the prerequisites for the child’s maintenance or statutory right of inheritance. The father can do this by making a personal declaration in a document before the registrar, even before the child is born.

Further information about the "voluntary acknowledgement of paternity" can be found at

Measure awarding guardianship

In the case of married parents, both parents are entrusted with taking care of the child (‘joint guardianship’). If parents who are not married have a child, only the mother has a right of guardianship, in principle. However, the parents can stipulate joint guardianship. Such a guardianship agreement can be made after paternity has been acknowledged at the registry office of the place of birth.

Detailed information about the "guardianship of both parents" can be found at Further information about Parental responsibility - Austria can also be found (in English) on the European e-Justice Portal.

Other administrative processes

In addition to the administrative processes mentioned here, other processes may be required, e.g. for issuing a passport or identity card for the baby. All the information about the Administrative processes regarding the birth of a child, Checklist – Employment and financial matters before the birth of a childChecklist – Employment and financial matters after the birth of a childs can also be found at

Documents required

Below is a complete list of the documents that you must take to the registry office with you if all the aforementioned administrative processes are to be completed after the birth. The documents required only for the respective administrative processes can be found at the specific link. Documents that have to be presented specifically in individual cases (e.g. consent of the legal representative to an acknowledgement of paternity of a minor father) are not listed here.

The original copy of foreign-language documents must be submitted together with a translation certified in Austria.


Digital Babypoint online serviceGerman text

Translated by the European Commission
Last update: 21 February 2024

Responsible for the content: Editorial Staff