Information for Ukrainian citizens
Інформація українською мовою
- Інформація для громадян України в Австрії (→ Федеральне агентство з прийому та підтримки)
- Мені потрібна допомога! (→ Caritas)
- Інформація для біженців з України (→ місто відень)
- нформація українською мовою (→ Державна служба зайнятості Австрії)
- Контакти для біженців з України в Австрії (→ Austrian Integration Fund)
- Віза (→ Посольство Австрії у Києві)
Numerous people have have been displaced from Ukraine due to the armed conflicts, some of them also seek protection in Austria. These people need initial information, contact options and support services.
→ FAQs for displaced persons from Ukraine are answered o the website the Federal Office for Immigration and Asylum (BFA).
Entry and residence
A hotline has been set up by the Federal Chancellery for central questions of displaced persons from Ukraine. Consultations are offered in German and Russian in addition to Ukrainian. The hotline can be reached at +43 1 715 10 51 - 120.
Registration and residency information can be found on the Website of the Federal Ministry of the Interior (BMI).
Since 12 March 2022: Temporary right of residence in Austria
The following persons are granted a temporary right of residence in Austria until 3 March 2023:
- Ukrainian citizens who had to flee from Ukraine as of 24 February 2022 and their family members (spouses, registered partners, minor children, close relatives).
- Persons entitled to protection in Ukraine (e.g. recognised refugees) who had to flee from Ukraine as of 24 February and their family members.
- Ukrainian citizens who cannot return to Ukraine and who had a valid Austrian residence title on 24 February that was withdrawn or not renewed.
- Ukrainian citizens who cannot return to Ukraine and who were legally residing in Austria on 24 February. They are also granted a temporary right of residence after expiry of their visa-free or visa-required stay.
Persons belonging to one of these groups are issued an ID card for displaced persons by the BFA. For this purpose they should register at the registration offices of the police (at police stations or in special reception or registration centers). With this temporary right of residence in Austria it is not necessary to apply for asylum. Information on the temporary right of residence for displaced persons from Ukraine can be found on the website of the BFA.
Excluded from this are persons who are presumed to have committed certain serious crimes.
Persons entering Austria due to armed conflict are not subject to COVID-19 entry restrictions (entry into Austria and pre-travel-clearance).
For Ukrainian nationals, the Federal Agency for Reception and Support Services (BBU) has set up a hotline: +43 1 2676 870 9460. Further information for Ukrainian citizens in Austria (→ BBU) can be found online.
The BBU coordinates and provides basic care for foreigners in need of assistance and protection. This includes accommodation, food, social, medical and psychological care as well as the provision of goods for daily needs such as clothing.
If accommodation with relatives is not possible and financial resources are not available, temporary accommodation will be provided in a neighborhood assistance quarter of the federal government or a federal state.
Further information on counseling and support for asylum seekers, recognized refugees as well as migrants can also be found on oesterreich.gv.at.
As of now, displaced persons from Ukraine can obtain treatment, prescriptions and referrals from registered physicians without a social security number. Further information on health insurance (→ ÖGK)German text, physician search (→ Österreichische Ärztekammer)German text and the customer service points of the Austrian Health Insurance Fund (→ ÖGK)German text can be found on their respective websites.
The Austrian Public Employment Service (→ AMS) has more information on employment in Austria.
The following platforms, for example, support the job search in Austria:
Information on free online German courses and learning materials can be found on the Sprachportal (→ ÖIF).
How the Austrian education system is structured and what opportunities it offers are shown in a Ukrainian-language leaflet (→ OeAD). English language information about school can also be found on the BMBWF Website.
In addition to schulpsychologie.at - hotline (school: psychological counseling for students, teachers and guardians) social work counseling for students is offered in Ukrainian and Russian at 0664/883 80 377.
Answers to questions regarding the equivalence of foreign vocational training with the Austrian apprenticeship-leave exam or assessment to determine professional equivalenceGerman text can be found on the website of the BMDW. Within the framework of the recognition of foreign professional qualifications, there is the possibility of a facilitated procedure for the assessment of qualifications.
Ukrainian students are exempt from paying tuition fees for the summer semester 2022. The Austrian National Union of Students provides a special emergency aid (→ ÖH) for all students affected by the war in Ukraine. It also offers counseling in Ukrainian and Russian: email@example.com.
Further information on schools and universities, support services, recognition options for degrees and contact options (including, in particular, contact persons in the individual education directorates for families with school-age children) can be found on the BMBWF website:
- War in Ukraine – help and support from the BMBWF
- Support services for refugee families, for students and for educatorsGerman text
- Ukraine – current information in the science and research sector
- Ukraine: Important contacts in the university, college and research sectorGerman text
Ukraine information of the federal provinces
Information partly in German, English and Ukrainian on arrival centers, registration, accommodation, counseling, etc.
Further information and support services
- Information for passengers from Ukraine (→ ÖBB)
- Information on the war in Ukraine (→ BMDW)German text
- Information for people from Ukraine (→ City of Vienna)
- Contact points for Ukrainian refugees in Austria (→ Österreichischer Integrationsfonds)
- Current information on people from Ukraine seeking protection (→ Asylkoordination Österreich)
- Ukraine We Help (→ Caritas Österreich)German text
- Help for Ukrainian refugees in Austria (→ Diakonie)German text
- Search for persons (→ Red Cross)German text
- Information for Ukrainian citizens (→ UNHCR)
Responsible for the content: oesterreich.gv.at Editorial Staff