Activating the mobile phone signature ("Handy-Signatur")
The mobile phone signature ("Handy-Signatur") is your personal signature which you can use to identify yourself clearly on the internet. It allows you to sign documents and accounts legally. It is equivalent to a handwritten signature and is therefore your digital passport on the internet.
Apply for a mobile phone signature now – your legal electronic signature.
You can activate the mobile signature conveniently from home via FinanzOnline:
- Log in with your FinanzOnline access data
- Select the menu item "Bürgerkarte/Handy-Signatur aktivieren"
- Duration: You will receive a confirmation letter within a few days.
- FinanzOnline (→ BMF) access
- Information: A few days waiting time for confirmation letter
A summary of the benefits
- Your digital passport on the internet;
- A convenient legal signature for electronic documents;
- Complete formalities online and use commercial electronic services;
- Extremely secure and free to use.
- A mobile phone that must be able to receive SMS messages (it does not have to be a smartphone);
- which has usually an Austrian or German SIM card (exceptions are possible if necessary);
- which can be a pay-as-you-go phone.
The prerequisite for activating the mobile phone signature is to have an entry in the central civil register ("Zentrales Melderegister") or an entry in the supplementary register for natural personsGerman text.
How to obtain your mobile phone signature
You can activate it in person at a registration authority or tax office anywhere in Austria.
- an official photo ID card;
- Time needed: a few minutes, although you must book an appointment
Follow this link for a list of registration authorities (→ Bürgerkarte)German text
Apply to activate the mobile phone signature on FinanzOnline. Log in with your FinanzOnline login details and select ‘Bürgerkarte/Handy-Signatur aktivieren’ [activate citizen's card/mobile phone signature] from the menu.
- FinanzOnline login details
- time needed: You will receive a letter of confirmation within a few days.
Follow this link FinanzOnline (→ BMF)German text
Go to your online account with Österreichische Post AG to activate your mobile phone signature in four easy steps.
Follow this link to go to → Österreichische Post AGGerman text
Students and teachers can activate their mobile phone signature online by going to edugov.gv.at.
- a minimum age of 14;
- resident in Austria.
Follow this link to go to → edugov.gv.atGerman text
Responsible for the content: Federal Ministry for Digital and Economic Affairs