Activating the mobile phone signature ("Handy-Signatur")
The mobile phone signature ("Handy-Signatur") is your personal signature which you can use to identify yourself clearly on the internet. It allows you to sign documents and accounts legally. It is equivalent to a handwritten signature and is therefore your digital passport on the internet.
Apply for a mobile phone signature now – your legal electronic signature.
ID Austria will replace the mobile phone signature on 5 December 2023.
Information on the changeover from mobile phone signature to ID Austria
A summary of the benefits
- Your digital passport on the internet;
- A convenient legal signature for electronic documents;
- Complete formalities online and use commercial electronic services;
- Extremely secure and free to use.
- A mobile phone that must be able to receive SMS messages (it does not have to be a smartphone);
- which has usually an Austrian or German SIM card (exceptions are possible if necessary);
- which can be a pay-as-you-go phone.
The prerequisite for activating the mobile phone signature is to have an entry in the central civil register [Zentrales Melderegister] or an entry in the supplementary register for natural personsGerman text.
How to obtain your mobile phone signature
You can activate it in person at a registration authority or tax office anywhere in Austria.
- An official photo ID card;
- Second document proving your identity:
- additional official photo ID or
- e-card, ATM card, credit card, student ID, professional ID, Wiener Linien annual pass or ÖBB Klimaticket or
- other comparably trustworthy documents
- Time needed: a few minutes, although you must book an appointment
There is a list of registration authorities (→ A-Trust)German text.
Responsible for the content: Federal Ministry of Finance