L17 – applying for a driving test
table of content
Learners can take the practical portion of the driving test as of their 17th birthday.
Tests will be organised by the driving school.
In general, these rules also apply to EU citizens in Austria.
- Minimum age: 17
- Completion of all necessary training at a driving school
- Completion of supervised on-road training covering at least 3 000 km
- Valid medical certificate
The period between passing the theory test and taking the practical test may be no longer than 18 months, otherwise the theory test will become invalid.
- For applications: a driving school (→ WKO)German text of your choice
- For the procedure for issuing the driving licence: the driving licence authority in whose district the driving school in question is located
- In cities with a state police departmentGerman text: the state police departmentGerman text
- In cities without a state police department or in municipalities: the district administrationGerman text
- In the chartered urban districtsGerman text of Krems and Waidhofen/Ybbs: the municipal executiveGerman text
- In the chartered urban district of Rust: the Burgenland State Police Department (→ LPD Burgenland)German text
A list of driving licence authorities in Austria can be found here.
The theory portion of the driving test consists of a computer-based test (available in German, English, Croatian, Slovenian and sign language).
Once learners have passed their theory test, they can take their practical driving test. They will be tested by an examiner from the competent authority, and may choose to either do their test in a training vehicle from the driving school (→ WKO) or in their own training vehicle. Their supervisor must also be present during the test.
If learners wish to use their own training vehicle for the test, it must be a four-door vehicle with a maximum design speed of at least 100 km/h.
If a driving test is taken in an automatic vehicle, the licence obtained will be restricted to such vehicles.
After a driving licence has been issued, the special plates (‘L17’ plates) no longer need to be used.
Detailed information about L17 – after the practical driving test can also be found at oesterreich.gv.at.
- Log book
- Offical photo ID
Costs and fees
- Theory test: 11 Euro
- Practical test: 60 Euro
- Führerscheingesetz (FSG)
- Führerscheingesetz – Vorgezogene Lenkberechtigungsverordnung (FSG-VBV)
- Fahrprüfungsverordnung (FSG-PV)
- Führerscheingesetz-Gesundheitsverordnung (FSG-GV)
Responsible for the content: Federal Ministry for Climate Action, Environment, Energy, Mobility, Innovation and Technology